A Little About Us
UniCourt is a leader in making court data more accessible and useful with our Legal Data as a Service (LDaaS). We provide real-time access to court data through our APIs and online app for business development and intelligence, litigation analytics, litigation tracking, case research, investigations, background checks, due diligence, compliance, underwriting, machine learning models, and process automation.
We provide access to court data from state and federal courts to a diverse list of clients, including Fortune 500 companies and AmLaw firms and industries such as legal, insurance, finance, investigations, government, education, nonprofits, and consumers.
UniCourt is a legal technology company focused on using technology to unlock the potential of legal data. We are based in both California and Mangalore, India and our team includes legal professionals, data scientists, physicists, computer engineers, and sales and marketing, professionals.
About the Job
UniCourt is searching for a Software Engineering Manager, who can lead a team of Data Engineers and QA Engineers in charge of building UniCourt’s search engine. Our search engine indexes terabytes of structured legal data using open source search engines like Sphinx, Elastic Search, and Apache Solr, and helps our customers find what they are looking for by filtering and narrowing the results in several different ways.
Our company creates some of the world’s most cutting-edge software solutions in the legal industry. We solve difficult problems, work on innovative technology, and build world-class platforms for people and enterprises to interact with court records and other public data sets. With some of the best minds in the industry, we’re one of the most sought-after learning and career destinations in the world of legal tech. If you’re looking to work at a company with opportunities to forge your career path in technology, UniCourt is the right place for you.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage multiple teams of Developers and QAs.
- Plan sprints and releases by prioritizing tasks and bugs to be included in a sprint after discussion with stakeholders.
- Clearly define the requirements, the user stories for a feature, and work with the technical team to come up with functionality, proposals, and time estimates to get approval for implementation.
- Involve yourself in steps from initial concept, design, and functional specification, writing code, writing of preliminary documentation, and testing of the final feature.
- Enforce the SDLC and bring in process improvements in development, testing, and deployment, and have a streamlined well-defined process.
- Ensure high quality of the product with QA engineers to implement different testing methodologies such as regression, automation, and performance tests and review test plans.
- Review release checklist and standardize reports to be submitted with every release.
- Work closely with team members to ensure timely deliverables.
- Communicate team status, task accomplishment, and intervene when necessary to help the team in resolving issues.
- Be the point of contact for dependencies with other teams and coordinate and resolve issues as needed.
- Bachelor / Master’s Degree in Engineering.
- 8+ years of work experience in the IT/Tech Industry.
- 2+ years of product management experience.
- Experienced in using Project Management tools like Jira.
- Started career as a Developer and progressed to the role of a Project Manager.
- Good understanding of databases, data structuring, and data normalization.
- Experience using RDBMS such as PostgreSQL and MySQL.
- Experience writing complex SQL queries and stored procedures to reduce query times.
- Experience in debugging and performance tuning the DB params for better performance.
- Experience using search engines such as Sphinx, Elastic Search, and Apache Solr.
- Experience in full-text search methodologies like stemming, morphology, and faceting.
- Experience building REST APIs and documentation using Swagger and OpenAPI Spec.
- Experience with versioning APIs and managing releases for clients.
- Experience in ETL and dealing with large amounts of text data.
- Experience using cloud providers such as AWS, GCP, and Azure.
Nice to Have Skills & Experience
- Ability to do a quick code review.
- Familiarity with microservices architecture and CI/CD pipelines.
- Familiarity with Function as a Service architecture.
- DevOps for build and release.