UniCourt is searching for a Software Engineering Manager, who can lead a team of AI Engineers, Data Engineers, and QA Engineers in charge of building our Normalization and Analytics Engine. This role is multi-dimensional and requires collaborating with universities for cutting-edge research in the AI/NLP with Legal Data and heading internal Research teams to build the next-gen features that would be integrated in UniCourt’s product line. A strong ability to ideate, conceptualize and prototype features is what is required to be successful in this role.
About the Job
Our company creates some of the world’s most cutting-edge software solutions in the legal industry. We solve difficult problems, work on innovative technology, and build world-class platforms for people and enterprises to interact with court records and other public data sets. With some of the best minds in the industry, we’re one of the most sought-after learning and career destinations in the world of legal tech. If you’re looking to work at a company with opportunities to forge your career path in technology, UniCourt is the right place for you.
UniCourt is a leader in making court data more accessible and useful with our Legal Data as a Service (LDaaS). We provide real-time access to court data through our APIs and online app for business development and intelligence, litigation analytics, litigation tracking, case research, investigations, background checks, due diligence, compliance, underwriting, machine learning models, and process automation.
We provide access to court data from state and federal courts to a diverse list of clients, including Fortune 500 companies and AmLaw firms and industries such as legal, insurance, finance, investigations, government, education, nonprofits, and consumers.
UniCourt is a legal technology company focused on using technology to unlock the potential of legal data. We are based in both California and Mangalore, India and our team includes legal professionals, data scientists, physicists, computer engineers, and sales and marketing, professionals.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage multiple teams of Developers/QAs which build applications for the following
- A Data Collection engine for Attorney’s, Judge’s, Law Firms and Businesses. This includes both automated and manual data entry.
- A proprietary Entity Normalization that uses Artificial Intelligence with name similarity measures to cluster entities together that is meant to represent a real world entity.
- An Analytics Engine which computes and structures data for quick access of aggregate information and relationships between entities
- Build new teams for the research projects in the RnD department for building Proof Of Concepts (PoC) that can potentially become features in our product offering
- Collaborate with Universities for conducting research in the field of AI and Natural Language Processing
- Plan sprints and releases by prioritizing tasks/bugs to be included in a sprint after discussion with stakeholders
- Clearly define the requirements, user stories for a feature and work with technical team to come up with functionality, proposals & time estimates to get approval for implementation
- Involve yourself in steps from initial concept, design and functional specification, some writing of code, writing of preliminary documentation and testing of the final feature
- Enforce the SDLC & bring in process improvements in development, testing and deployment and have streamlined well defined process
- Ensure high quality of the product with QA engineers to implement different testing methodologies like regression/automation/performance tests and review test plans
- Review release checklist & standardize reports to be submitted with every release
- Work closely with team members to ensure timely deliverables
- Communicate team status, task accomplishment, and intervene when necessary to help the team in resolving issues.
- Be the point of contact for dependencies with other teams - Coordinate and resolve issues
- Bachelor / Master’s Degree in Engineering
- 8+ years of work experience in the IT/Tech Industry
- 2+ years of product management experience
- Started his/her career as a Developer & progressed to the role of a Project Manager
- Good understanding of AI and NLP
- Experience managing data collection from multiple sources - manual, automated, data dumps, ETL, etc
- Experience in dealing with large amounts of text data - cleaning, structuring, processing, etc.
- Experience using RDBMS like PostgreSQL and GraphDB like Neo4J, OriendDB
- Experienced in using Project Management tools like Jira
Nice to Have Skills & Experience
- Ability to do a quick code review
- Familiarity with Microservices architecture and CI/CD pipelines
- DevOps for build and release